About Me

My photo
Just to tell you a little about myself, my name is Vickie and I was born and raised in Kentucky. The majority of my ancestors have been in Kentucky since the 1790’s. I have always loved history, a good mystery and puzzles and that is what Family History Research is all about. As a child we would take day trips on Saturdays and head down some dirt road looking for old cemeteries. A lot of the time we weren't looking for anyone in particular, we just like to read the epitaphs. We would have a picnic lunch packed and have lunch at whatever cemetery we were at. If the weather was bad my Dad and I would go to a courthouse and dig through old records in musty old basements looking for our ancestors. So as you can see I have had an interest in Family History for quite some time.

Monday, January 18, 2016

Francis Parker of Halifax County, Virginia and Smith County, Tennessee

I don’t know much about the man, I am going to be writing about this time.  His name was Francis Parker and I know he lived in the same area as some of my Parker families, but so far I have not been able to find the connection between him and either of my line of Parker’s.  My DNA however is matching up with the Parker’s of Halifax County, Virginia and Smith County, Tennessee.  The Parker line in Smith County, Tennessee is from my Mom’s side of the family through her Mom’s people.  I also have a Parker line from my Daddy’s side of the family through his Dad’s people, which I have been able to connect to each other.  The given names of Francis Parker’s family and my family on both sides are all pretty much the same, so I believe there is some connection somewhere, I just need to find it.  Here is what I do know.  Francis and his wife Lucy were probably born in the early 1750’s.  Francis Parker and his family lived in Halifax County, Virginia up until at least 1800, before coming to the Smith County, Tennessee area and some of his children went to the county to the north of Smith called Macon.  The following maps shows Halifax County, Virginia and Smith and Macon Counties in Tennessee.



From the will of Francis Parker, I know he had the following children and this is what I know about some of them: Abraham Parker, born ca. 1776 - died before 1860, who was married to Phebe Nichols in 1799 in Halifax County, Virginia; Francis Parker, born ca. 1778, Archibald Parker, born ca. 1787 - died before 1880; John Parker, born 1789 - died 1816, married to Nancy Lovelady; and Womack Parker, born ca. 1794 - died after 1862, married to Elizabeth; Tabitha Parker, born ca. 1780 married to William Nash in 1797 in Halifax County, Virginia; Polly Parker, born ca, 1784, married to Thomas Nash; and Lucy Parker, born ca. 1792.  Francis’ wife was named Lucy, as of yet I do not know what her maiden name was, but I am wondering if it might have been Womack, since that is an unusual given name.  Also, according to the will of Francis Parker, his children: John, Womack and Lucy were all under age and not married.  The majority of the time this would mean they were under the age of 21 and from what I have found so far, John, Lucy and Womack, were approximately 18, 15 and 13 years old respectively when their father wrote his will.

I found Francis Parker’s will and inventory in Smith County, Tennessee Probate Records 1805-1833, SLFHL Microfilm #319178, item 1, pages 141-143, 183-184 = The Will and Inventory of Francis Parker, written: September 28, 1807 = probated: December 3, 1807 = inventory: March 1808.  He didn’t live very long from when he wrote his will, until it was brought to court when it said he was deceased.  He mentions his wife Lucy Parker and the following children, sons: Abraham Parker, Francis Parker, Archibald Parker, John Parker and Womack Parker and daughters: Polly Parker married to Thomas Nash, Tabitha Parker Nash and Lucy Parker.  Also a grandson named Francis Nash, son of his daughter Tabitha.  Some online trees are showing that Tabitha’s husband died young and left her with just the one child. Francis Parker is giving some of his children land, some horses, with saddles and bridles and some get feather beds as well as a little cash. 

None of his children are listed as getting any slaves, but in the inventory of his estate the following negroes are listed: 1 negro boy named Oliver, age 12, 1 negro boy named Joe, age 2, 1 negro woman named Nancy, 1 negro woman named Mary, 1 negro girl named Rose age 11 and 1 negro girl named Mary age 2.

The following is a copy of his will, probate and inventory.






My Parker’s on both sides of my family were from Virginia and North Carolina then went to Tennessee and then on into Kentucky.  My good friend Malia’s, Parker line did pretty much the same thing.  To see what all I have collected on both of my Parker family lines and my friend, Malia’s, Parker family, you can go to my online tree at this web link: http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?db=vaparker


9 comments:

  1. Good job with another post for the Slave Name Roll Project! ~ Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another good one. It amazes me you can take dates from the past, and turn them into stories. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Havev information on FRancis Parker of Halifax Co. VA
    Hudson/Parker researcher

    ReplyDelete
  4. Contact me at lmkanss@hotmail.com for information on this Wm, Francis and Edward Parker.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm also descended from Parkers of Virginia and North Carolina. I'm trying to figure out the difference between your Francis Parker and my 4th g-grandfather Francis Parker, who died in 1794 in Edgecombe County, NC. Do you know if your Francis was in the Revolutionary War? I have some pay vouchers for Francis Parker in Halifax County,NC who I thought was mine, but I'm having second thoughts. Thanks -Donna Parker (you can e-mail me a djpparker@att.net)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry, Email address lmkansas@hotmail.com
    Would love to share

    ReplyDelete
  7. See http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~tnsmith/wills/parkerwill.htm. William Parker likely the brother of Francis Parker. I have much more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robert, thanks for the link, I will be checking it out. I would love to see what all you have on the Parker family.

      Delete